CD-ROM of the 2003 International Study Visit to Cuba, including details of the Architect in the Community Programme (PAC), winner of the 2002 World Habitat Award.
Established as a pilot programme in 1994, the Architect in the Community Programme now covers the whole of Cuba, providing affordable technical support to households who are building or renovating their homes on a self-help basis. The participatory design approach that it uses provides households with skills and confidence as well as improved living conditions. The programme is self-funding and has to date benefited over 500,000 families.
In May 2003, BSHF carried out an International Study Visit to the Architect in the Community Programme, Cuba, winner of the 2002 World Habitat Award. Twenty-eight professionals, representing fourteen countries from around the world, were selected to take part in the event.
A CD-ROM has been compiled to include details of the Architect in the Community Programme as well as the participants’ personal reflections. Presented in both English and Spanish, the CD contains the following information:
- Housing Strategies in Cuba.
- The Architect in the Community Programme.
- The International Study Visit.
- The Participants: contact details and information on each of the organisations represented.
- Participants’ feedback regarding the PAC Programme and the Study Visit.
- Details for applying to the 2004 World Habitat Awards.