In partnership with the UN-Habitat we are delighted to announce the World Habitat Awards 2015-16 winners. They have been chosen from entries that were submitted from around the world. The worthy winners are:
- Caño Martín Peña Community Land Trust – Puerto Rico
- Self-help Housing in the North of England – United Kingdom
These innovative projects demonstrate how empowered communities have transformed people’s lives by creating affordable and safer homes for those in need.
The Awards will be presented at Habitat lll in Ecuador, October 2016 – the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development.
We would also like to congratulate the other eight outstanding finalists:
- Comprehensive Community Development for Poverty Alleviation – Bhutan
- Back to Rio – Brazil
- TECHO – Development of Habitat – Chile
- Improvement Without Barriers – Colombia
- Nashira, A Song of Love, A Women-led Project – Colombia
- Empowering the Poor: building the capacity of urban and rural communities – Malawi
- LILAC (Low Impact Living Affordable Community) – United Kingdom
- Rent to Buy Scheme – United Kingdom
These prestigious Awards have been running for 30 years and since they began have recognised and shared hundreds of housing solutions from around the world. Find out more about these stories on our website.
Submissions are currently being accepted for the next cycle of the World Habitat Awards.
The closing date for applications is 29 April 2016.
To apply online, please click here.
Join the discussion