A series of collaborative events will start today to support Fundació Hàbitat3 – a Gold Winner of last year’s World Habitat Awards – develop their work to help even more of Catalonia’s most vulnerable people move into safe and secure homes.
Hosted by World Habitat as part of our exChange Programme, Hàbitat3 will be discussing strategies with some of the world’s leading housing experts and sharing experiences from their award-winning approach to providing housing. They aim to continue to expand their provision of affordable housing to vulnerable people, including reaching more homeowners in the Private Rented Sector.
The organisations who will be sharing their expertise at the exChange – and who face similar challenges – are:
- Community Solutions, USA (World Habitat Award Winner 2013) – non-profit organisation leading a movement of more than 80 US cities and counties using data to radically change how they work.
- Crisis, UK – national charity for homeless people.
- Dot Dot Dot, UK – social enterprise property guardian company.
- Homes for Good, UK – letting agent and property management company in Scotland.
- Mutual Housing California, USA (World Habitat Award Winner 2017) – non-profit housing developer with a strong focus on resident participation and leadership development.
- Neunerimmo, Austria – non-profit connecting the real estate industry with social organisations.
- Y-Foundation, Finland (World Habitat Award Winner 2014) – one of the key national developers of the Housing First approach in Finland.
Natalia Martínez, Responsable Àrea Comercial at Hàbitat3, said:
“Winning the award is both an honour and a challenge, it compels us to keep working to further develop the model of housing with support for those who need it most. We believe one of the key strengths of our project is the complicity and collaboration with other organisations, being able to create a network of partners and combine our different perspectives and expertise. The outcome of our work is all the better for it.
“We are thrilled with this exChange Programme and very thankful to World Habitat, it is a tremendous opportunity to extend the collaboration even further and learn from these outstanding organisations whose work has common trends with ours and yet each of them is unique. We believe it will strengthen our organisation as well as theirs and open new doors of possibility for our work towards the right of housing for people in vulnerable situations.”
Mariana Gallo, Programme Lead for the World Habitat Awards, said:
“We are really looking forward to this exChange Programme. It promises to be an invigorating series of discussions and practical work with other leading housing experts. Through the exchange of ideas, experiences, knowledge and solutions, Hàbitat3 will be able to develop their already outstanding and award-winning work even further.
“By renovating empty homes, Hàbitat3 provide much-needed housing to vulnerable people across Catalonia. It is inspirational that they want to reach even more people in one of the most challenging housing environments in Europe and we – alongside the other organisations – are delighted to play a role in this.”
Further meetings and events will take place throughout October and November.